[webkit-dev] review queue crazy idea

Zoltan Herczeg zherczeg at inf.u-szeged.hu
Wed Jul 21 23:48:43 PDT 2010

> Patches sit in the queue for numerous reasons.  Some of us used to
> scan the queue every day.  But I've stopped doing that.  Now I scan it
> more like once a week or two.
>
> There is no good way to find "which patches might I have a chance of
> reviewing", so you end up spending 30 minutes just to find a patch you
> could actually review.

You mean basically the problem is how a reviewer find a patch which he/she
can review? WebKit as a project does not encourage matching a patch to a
reviewer, but those, who are here for a long time know who can review
their patches, and just CC them to the bug. This is difficult for a new
contributor. I suggest a keyword - reviewer matching bot: a contributor is
encouraged to select some keywords related to his/her patch from a list,
and a bot could automatically CC some reviewers based on these keywords
and other attributes (like component) of the bug report.

> Most patches get rejected for easily-bot-detectable reasons.  Like bad
> or missing ChangeLogs, poor comment style, tabs, breaking EWS bots.
> Now that the style bot and EWS bots work better we should at least cq-
> patches which fail those bots (or fail to apply).

The bots set the boxes to red near the patch, and post a small message to
the bug report. This is more than enough for me, but a new contributor
might have no idea how to fix them. A link to a wiki page should be added
to these posts, which explains the steps to fix such problems. Or just
mention some names, whose are an expert of different build systems, and
can help to fix build issues.

Zoltan