[webkit-dev] Removing support for the -khtml- (and -apple-?) vendor prefixes

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Jul 12 10:09:11 PDT 2010

The reason for these is historical. Originally, we didn't use a separate vendor prefix for WebKit, just -khtml. Later we changed to -apple. Eventually we realized WebKit would not be an Apple-specific project forever, so we switched to -webkit. The main risk to removing the old prefixes is that some older WebKit-specific content authored against them will break. I'm not sure the code cleanup benefits outweigh the risk of breaking content.

If we want to phase out support for these older prefixes, what I'd propose as a first step is supporting the legacy prefixes for old properties but not for any new ones.

Regards,
Maciej