[webkit-dev] Frustrated at inconsiderate behavior

Xan Lopez xan at gnome.org
Thu Jul 8 11:14:58 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
> Originally, we had the commit-queue to land only if all the core
> builders were green.  One recent change we made to make the
> commit-queue more agressive is to land when the commit-queue itself
> sees 100% passing tests on itself.  When we were waiting for all the
> core builders to be green, the commit-queue usually had to wait for me
> or Eric or another contributor to clean up the entire tree and ping
> the folks who maintain bots that had gotten sick.
>
> My view is, generally, that the commit-queue should act like a
> contentious committer, which means it should act the way most
> committers act.  Given that folks generally don't wait for all the
> bots to be green before committing, I felt this change was worth
> experimenting with.  (Note that sheriff-bot still monitors all the
> core builders and alerts folks of bustage.)

I see, I interpreted you meant it saw 100% passing tests in the core
bots (as it used to be). The new behavior seems to make it easier to
breaks, people will keep piling things on top and if nobody is around
at that moment then it's much harder to figure out what happened, who
was responsible, etc, because you only get clear data of the first
breakage.

So, not a fan.

Of course I see the point that you make about most people committing
manually doing the same thing, but maybe we should create a rule of
not committing code touching all ports if any of the trees is red.
That would improve things, I feel this switch won't do that.

Xan