[webkit-dev] Frustrated at inconsiderate behavior

James Robinson jamesr at google.com
Wed Jul 7 19:22:34 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2010, at 7:16 PM, Tony Gentilcore wrote:
>

> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Mo, Zhenyao <zhenyao at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe I should complain this in a different threads, but recently the
>> commit bot waiting time is way too long.  Several times a patch of mine got
>> the r+ and cq+ and it landed two days later.  This is really frustrating.
>>
>> I am very tempted to use svn directly to commit patches, but that means
>> the patch only gets tested in my local environments. Like one time my patch
>> breaks the leopard bot, turns out the failed test is skipped on leopard,
>> which is exactly my OS.  If I land it through the commit bots, I could
>> identify the issue earlier.
>>

> I agree they are closely related. A greener tree means a faster commit
> queue and a faster commit queue means less people subvert it and break the
> tree. The hard problem is figuring out how to fix the incentives so
> subverting the queue isn't so desirable.
>

> What do you mean by subvert the queue?  The commit queue is a tool to
> streamline commits from contributors who do not have commit access to the
> repository.  If you have the ability to commit you should not be using the
> commit queue to land your patches.

That's not my understanding of the commit queue.  I use the commit queue to
land my patches when possible so that the patch receives further testing
before it hits the tree and potentially affects a large number of
contributors.  Why do you think this is a bad idea?  Is this preference
codified somewhere (formally or informally)?

- James