[webkit-dev] STIX Fonts and MathML Tests

Alex Milowski alex at milowski.org
Wed Jul 7 03:48:33 PDT 2010

Sausset François has been looking at using the newly released STIX
fonts [1] for the MathML implementation.  If we start requiring STIX
font support for MathML, how do we guarantee:

   * these fonts exist in the build process so the tests will succeed,
   * these fonts exist on the target platform.

Certainly, we can create a stylesheet that degrades when the
fonts are missing.  We could also do something with web fonts [2]
but that seems like a bad idea for WebKit as a core platform for
a variety of browsers.

In general, we're working towards a point where we'd like to turn
on MathML by default and, at that point, the tests must be run.  For
the tests to succeed, we'd need the STIX fonts available.

Is there any precedence for this or default policy for tests requiring
fonts?

[1] http://www.stixfonts.org/
[2] http://hublog.hubmed.org/archives/001931.html

--