[webkit-dev] Web SQL Database API - openDatabaseSync

Eric Uhrhane ericu at google.com
Thu Jul 1 14:52:37 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Evan Ireland <eireland at sybase.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have an implementation of the synchronous SQL Database API
> (openDatabaseSync...)?

Not as far as I know, but Dumi will have one completed in [webkit and
chrome] shortly.

> If so, is it usable from the main UI (non-worker) browser thread?

No, by design, that API is only accessable from worker context.  In
the document context you have to use the asynchronous API [which is
currently available on worker threads in webkit and chromium].

> If not, does anyone have an ETA on availability of the synchronous API
> usable from the main UI thread.

It's not likely that anyone will implement this, as it's a) not in the
spec; b) guaranteed to cause awkward lockups of the whole UI.

     Eric