[webkit-dev] Attach/Detach RenderTree

ying lcs yinglcs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 16:43:43 PST 2010

Hi,

I have read this blog regarding creating/destorying RenderTree
http://webkit.org/blog/114/webcore-rendering-i-the-basics/

To reduce memory usage when user have navigated multiple pages, I am
thinking if it is a good idea to
* whenever user clicks 'back', detach the whole RenderTree, so that
all the memory used by RenderTree is free. Webkit just keeps the
DOM/CSS data structure/Javascript context.
* when user 'forward' and bring back that page, the RenderTree will
re-construct again, based on the DOM which is preserved.

I am not sure if this simplifies things too much.
Thank you for suggestions/corrections.

Thank you.