[webkit-dev] DOM Serialization?

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Fri Jan 22 09:09:14 PST 2010

On Jan 22, 2010, at 7:16 AM, Christopher White wrote:

> Is it possible to save the DOM resulting from the parsing of HTML / CSS into a file and then read it back instead of re-parsing the HTML (similar to Java object serialization).

WebKit has a feature called web archives that does something like this.

> Does it save any time or is it a wash?

Save time when doing what?

> I know there is a dump render tree function but does it save everything you need so that you can re-render the HTML page w/o the original HTML / CSS files?

The render tree dumping is unrelated to this. The render tree is an internal data structure, and it’s useful to dump it for regression testing, but it has nothing to do with serialization or re-rendering a page.

    -- Darin