[webkit-dev] Tagging bug names with a platform name: limit to platform-specific patches

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Jan 21 18:57:09 PST 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 3:37 AM, Anton Muhin wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 20, 2010, at 8:18 AM, Darin Adler wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks.
>>>
>>> We’ve never formalized this, but I believe that patches tagged with a particular platform name such as
>>>
>>>     [Qt] Add new API for fluffy bunnies
>>>
>>> should be limited to one particular platform’s code. If the patch changes more than a trivial bit of platform-independent code, even if the change is only for the benefit of a signle platform, I suggest we not use the platform name prefix.
>>
>> Makes sense to me. I would also like to suggest that people should *not* use the bracket convention for things besides platform, like [dom] or [style-queue]. Some people (e.g. me) use queries to split bracket-prefix patches into a separate list, and it's better not to hide general-purpose patches.
>
> Sorry for using those, tried to be a good citizen :)
>
> Should be tags like dom, v8 omitted completely or is there some other
> way to communicate the system?

Tagging with [v8] is fine since that's essentially a port-specific component that many reviewers are not knowledgable about. But [dom] is not necessary. If you wan to indicate the component, you can use the component field in the bug. Or just mention the DOM in the bug title. It's not super important either way.

Regards,
Maciej