[webkit-dev] Font layout features

Evan Martin evan at chromium.org
Thu Jan 21 10:41:06 PST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Jason Rukman <JasonR at bsquare.com> wrote:
> I guess my main question is; "What does pango do for the gtk port?" Do I need to worry that we are not using it and just using freetype?

Complex text.  Without Pango or Harfbuzz or ICU you won't properly
display Arabic, Hebrew, Indic scripts, and strange combinations of
more ordinary letters involving combining characters "m" plus "acute".
 CJK ought to work though.

> We have the layout tests running but at this point we aren't running the pixel tests; is this necessary for the text rendering tests to show up issues or will we be hitting the necessary tests without them?

Some layout tests may catch some of these issues, but you probably
need pixels to verify the actual scripts come out ok.