[webkit-dev] Tagging bug names with a platform name: limit to platform-specific patches

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Jan 20 23:58:31 PST 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 8:18 AM, Darin Adler wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> We’ve never formalized this, but I believe that patches tagged with a particular platform name such as
>
>     [Qt] Add new API for fluffy bunnies
>
> should be limited to one particular platform’s code. If the patch changes more than a trivial bit of platform-independent code, even if the change is only for the benefit of a signle platform, I suggest we not use the platform name prefix.

Makes sense to me. I would also like to suggest that people should *not* use the bracket convention for things besides platform, like [dom] or [style-queue]. Some people (e.g. me) use queries to split bracket-prefix patches into a separate list, and it's better not to hide general-purpose patches.

Regards,
Maciej