[webkit-dev] JavaScript processing on the server

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue Jan 19 09:12:16 PST 2010

On Jan 19, 2010, at 5:34 AM, Konstantin wrote:

> I'm a web developer and don't know C at all.
> I'm going to use WebKit JavaScriptCore in one of the projects, but I'm not sure about the possibility of this solution.
>
> There is a webpage with tons of JavaScript code in it, the page is processed through JavaScriptCore on the server and is returned to a user with "clean" code. Could you give me a clue, whether this is possible, and can JavaScriptCore helps me in this task?

This question is off topic for this list. See <http://webkit.org/contact.html> for the purposes of the lists. This list is for discussing development of WebKit. Use of WebKit should be discussed on webkit-help.

But I couldn’t resist answering anyway.

It is almost certainly practical to run WebKit on a server. But probably not for someone who does not know C at all.

Running WebKit on a server would allow the webpage’s JavaScript to run. But it would not produce “clean code” — I’m not even sure what that means. JavaScript programs can do all sorts of things. But there is no concept of running the script and then producing a script-free page. That seems to be what you’re after and is not practical.

    -- Darin