[webkit-dev] Remove underscore check in check-webkit-style?

Kenneth Christiansen kenneth.christiansen at openbossa.org
Thu Jan 14 02:49:40 PST 2010

In Qt we only allow underscored in methods that start with qt_ and they are
used for private API, such as for the DRT and for API that we havent had the
time to API review, but are still needed by some other software products.

Kenneth

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Darin Fisher <darin at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Evan Martin <evan at chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
>> > Current check-webkit-style and the style bot complain if code uses
>> > identifiers with underscores in their names.  It turns out our code
>> > does this fairly often, especially in Qt and Gtk specific code, for
>> > example to interface with unit testing frameworks.  We could either:
>> >
>> > 1) Teach check-webkit-style about these cases
>> > 2) Remove the underscore check entirely
>> >
>> > My inclination is to do (2) because I haven't seen this check find
>> > many actual style problems.  However, if we think that (1) is the
>> > better road, I'll be happy to make that happen.
>>
>> I frequently forget the underscore rule (since all the other code I
>> work on prefers underscores).  As a beneficiary of the style checker,
>> I'd prefer to avoid (2) if possible.
>>

> ditto.  this is a problem for many folks who work in both the chromium and
> webkit repositories.  levin's idea sounds best :)
>
> -darin

Kenneth Rohde Christiansen
Technical Lead / Senior Software Engineer
Qt Labs Americas, Nokia Technology Institute, INdT
Phone  +55 81 8895 6002 / E-mail kenneth.christiansen at openbossa.org