[webkit-dev] Question about PopupMenuClient

Darin Fisher darin at chromium.org
Thu Jan 7 14:51:22 PST 2010

Chromium actually does something like this.  See ChromeClientChromium.

In our case, we have two modes:  one where the embedder just has to wrap the
given PopupContainer with a window frame, and in another mode, where the
embedder is responsible for drawing the popup menu.

We are forced to delegate out to the embedding application because of
Chromium's sandbox, which prevents WebKit from directly communicating with
the native widget system (cannot directly create an HWND for example).

In the case where the embedder only supplies framing, the popup menu is
drawn by embedding a ScrollView.  Then, all of the drawing happens in
WebCore.  You can see this code in PopupMenuChromium.cpp.

-Darin