[webkit-dev] Blacklisting some sqlite functions

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Thu Jan 7 10:02:51 PST 2010

On Jan 6, 2010, at 2:55 PM, Dumitru Daniliuc wrote:

> while doing a security review of chromium's implementation of HTML5 DBs, chris noted that some sqlite functions are potential security risks. thus, we would like to blacklist them (or rather, have a list of whitelisted functions). currently, WebCore's sqlite authorizer allows all functions, but has a FIXME comment that wonders what the right thing to do is (WebCore/storage/DatabaseAuthorizer.cpp:281).

This code has long since shipped and although it hasn't achieved what you might call "wide use," a widespread change in behavior might break important clients.

That said... the less function surface area available, the better.

> here are the functions we'd like to whitelist:
> http://www.sqlite.org/lang_corefunc.html: all of them, except load_extension(), random() and randomblob() (once we fix some layout tests that currently use randomblob()).

No argument on disallowing load_extension().

Are random() and randomblob() security risks?  Could you point us to a source explaining this?

> http://www.sqlite.org/lang_datefunc.html: all of them

> http://www.sqlite.org/lang_aggfunc.html: all of them

Seems okay.

> in addition to these standard functions, we'd like to whitelist some functions from a few extensions chromium uses:
> full text search (fts2.c): whitelist snippet(), offsets(), optimize(), but not fts2_tokenizer().
> unicode data (icu.c): whitelist regexp(), lower(), upper(), like(), but not icu_load_collation().

Is there any reason these are still Chromium-only?  Even though we're having problems getting different vendors to agree on SQL dialect issues with the spec, I think we should make an effort to keep WebKit unified.

I'm also going to forward this message on to some of our security colleagues at Apple, and we might have more feedback shortly.

~Brady