[webkit-dev] The tree is on fire: a tragedy of the commons

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Fri Feb 26 12:35:32 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2010, at 11:43 AM, Simon Fraser wrote:

2. The Mozilla tinderbox page (their buildbot waterfall) had a way for
> people to leave comments, by adding a "star" to a particular build with a
> comment. This is used as a way to communicate that someone has noticed the
> breakage, and is working on it.
>
> Sounds like a good idea. Wondering if that fits better in the console view
> or the extensions view.

Another, perhaps easier to implement, approach would be to have a single
status message that is iframed at the top of the waterfall and console
pages. This has proven good enough for chromium. See the message at the top
of build.chromium.org.

http://chromium-status.appspot.com/current The status can then be updated
at http://chromium-status.appspot.com/ (requires login...not sure why),
which also shows the last 25 statuses.

People use it in ways like "2 win release failures -> ojan, mac compile ->
dglazkov, qt failure -> ???" to indicate that ojan/dglazkov are currently
actively fixing those and qt has a failure that needs an owner.

For the record, I fully support making warnings more visible and improving
the EWS/buildbot infrastructure before resorting to adding new policies.

On the topic of buildbot infrastructure, one problem I've had is the bots
sometimes get quite behind. I made a commit last week that took *hours*
before running the tests on the Windows bot. Sitting around for 30 minutes
to see the tree green after a commit is one thing, sitting around for 4
hours is another. Hopefully, running tests in parallel will resolve many of
these issues.
 <http://chromium-status.appspot.com/current>

Ojan