[webkit-dev] The tree is on fire: a tragedy of the commons

Nikolas Zimmermann zimmermann at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Feb 26 09:32:20 PST 2010

Am 26.02.2010 um 18:17 schrieb Dimitri Glazkov:

> To summarize the thread:
>
> 1) We're adopting "when in doubt, roll it out" approach to patches
> that turn tree red.
> 2) Need to find a way to run Mac-EWS for non-committers.
> 3) Enable "build-break" emails to webkit-dev or another opt-in
> mailing list
>
> What else?

I'm a bit scared of rule 1. How about we define a minimum delay when
to roll-out patches, after they break something?
Let's say, if a commit breaks the tree, give the commiter a time frame
of 30 minutes to fix it - otherwhise roll-out (we could even automate
that.)

Example: When landing a SVG patch, that worked fine on Leopard, but
broke Snow Leopard, I'd like to have some time to identify wheter it's
the
fault of my patch, or a platform specific problem. If it's the fault
of my patch, I have no problem with reverting. But if I can't
immediately fix the
problem, because it's a platform specific issue, which can not be
fixed (in terms of WebKit), then adding to the Skipped list, and
filing a new bug
just takes 5 minutes. Reverting the whole patch, just to reland it
with a Skipped list addition is a bit too much work for me.

What do others think?

Cheers,
Niko