[webkit-dev] Question on FormData interface and implementation

Jian Li jianli at chromium.org
Thu Feb 25 15:31:48 PST 2010

Hi,

I am looking into the work to support FormData interface as defined in
XMLHttpRequest Level 2 (
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/XMLHttpRequest-2/#formdata). To support the
new FormData interface, we need to add the FormData object that collides
with the name that has already existed. Currently we already have FormData
and FormDataElement that encapsulate the formalized data to send out. How
are we going to resolve the naming issue?

Approach 1: we can try to merge the current version of FormData with the new
functionalities in the to-be-added FormData. This means that the new version
will handle both raw key-value-pair FormData and formalized FormData. It
seems to be a little bit messy, IMHO.

Approach 2: we can rename the current version of FormData to something like
FormalizedFormData or FormSendingData that keeps all the current logic to
represent the formalized data to send out. We then use FormData for the new
FormData interface, that represent the raw key-value-pair list, just like
FormDataList. Indeed we will merge FormDataList into this new version of
FormData.

How do you guys think?

Thanks,

Jian