[webkit-dev] [Fwd: Re: Announcing new port: EFL]

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Tue Feb 23 12:35:09 PST 2010

Hi all, sorry about  the post to forward, possibly breaking the mail
thread, but I was not subscribed to the list. Find below some
comments:

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Leandro Pereira <leandro at profusion.mobi> wrote:

> [...]

I'm quite sure Samsung people will step in and confirm their
commitment to the success and continuation of the EFL port, as they
are already doing with the core EFL itself. Browser engine, as we are
all aware, is a critical component of any modern system and thus of
high interest to them.

But Samsung is not alone in this port. I can say about ProFUSION and
Enlightenment, as I'm both owner of former and core developer of
later.

Enlightenment developers always liked and supported the WebKit-EFL
port, even the first public release did by INdT got patches and
applications developed around it. For one, we got "ewww" browser from
Calaos guys, then I created "eve" based on it -- it lived in E SVN for
a while, just dropped recently as we ended changing the public API
completely (and for good).   After WebKit-EFL lands completely, it is
planned to have Elementary (our widget set/toolkit,
http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Elementary) widget encapsulating
it... that will likely boost its usage.

ProFUSION is about development and services, with the differentiation
factor being EFL support. Our plans regarding WebKit-EFL are quite
longstanding, even before being contracted by Samsung to do this port
we planned to have a WebKit-EFL component in EFL.   Of course
Samsung's support helps supporting it, but even without them we do
plan to continue investing manpower in this port as it is a key
technology for our developments and services.

I hope this are bit more clear now. This is not a drop-and-run ;-)

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems
MSN: barbieri at gmail.com