[webkit-dev] Increasing the number of cross-platform/port expected results

Simon Fraser simon.fraser at apple.com
Tue Feb 23 08:02:36 PST 2010

On Feb 23, 2010, at 5:00 AM, Tor Arne Vestbø wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> A reoccurring problem when trying to maintain layout-test results is differences in font and theme metrics for tests that dump the render tree. Often a test does not actually test font loading/rendering or theming, but has a piece of text or an input element somewhere in the test which causes the metrics in the render tree to be different, and hence the test failing.

I think the correct longterm solution to this problem is to use reftests. A reftest consists of two files; the test file, and a "reference" file that should give the same on-screen rendering. When the test is run, the browser loads both files, takes snapshots, and does a pixel comparison. Thus font differences between platforms become less of an issue.

Simon