[webkit-dev] SmartDelete incorrect?

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Mon Feb 22 18:47:23 PST 2010

I'm looking at
http://trac.webkit.org/log/trunk/LayoutTests/editing/deleting/smart-delete-001.html
.

Currently WebKit matches Apple Mail behavior, but not TextEdit. As best I
can tell, smart delete/paste were added for Mail at
http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/7627. Until now, I've understood that the
"correct" Mac platform text editing behavior is what TextEdit does. Is that
wrong? Should WebKit/Mail be changed to match TextEdit?

>From the test:
Tests: Smart delete when deleting the first word on a line.
Expected Results: The first word and the space following the first word
should be deleted.

So, specifically, if I have "foo bar baz" and I select the word "foo" using
cmd+shift+right, hitting delete will delete the space in WebKit, but *not*
in TextEdit. If, however, I select the word "foo" using cmd+right, hitting
delete does not delete the space in either app. The TextEdit behavior seems
more predictable (and sane).

I'm happy to fix this assuming there's agreement that it's incorrect.

Ojan