[webkit-dev] are there any known or suspected memory issues with webkit?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 21 04:14:59 PST 2010

The reason I ask is because I thought there were some concerns about leaks
( probably just stuff I saw skimming various google hits ) and I have
seen firefox and iceweasel light up my disk on very simple things ( like
typing stuff into forms). As I started looking through the code,
one of the first things I saw was something that looked like a hash table
of previously used pages- are there static "junk bins" of strong references
and stuff like that that could create memory leaks as they accumulate stuff
and never get cleaned or pruned?

The other thing is that IMO ( opposing views welcome) memory
access patterns are often an unappreciated issue on many
architectures. The reason I reacted to the threading question as
I did is that it seems, again in my opinion on superficial/ anecdotal
analysis, that this approach often seems attractive but contains
a number of issues, among them those related to memory or
other resource allocations, that reduce the effectiveness even
with an ideal multi-CPU system  I did make this point
before with reference to one speed-versus-threads graph
from IEEE,

http://lists.boost.org/boost-users/2008/11/42263.php

Ceratinly " your mileage may vary" but resource
allocation and contention is probably already a big
deal and it may be a better place to look for
optimization. Launching a thread is a general idea
that can be used anywhere but digging into code may be
more effort and more specialized to a given task however.

 Thoughts?

Thanks.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&q=site%3Aintel.com+memory+access+pattern+optimization+locality&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=d95f0d161f018361

note new address
Mike Marchywka
1975 Village Round
Marietta GA 30064
415-264-8477 (w)<- use this
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka at hotmail.com
Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
Please indicate any concerns if applicable.