[webkit-dev] parallel rendering in WebKit

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 14:40:26 PST 2010

Hi Zoltan,

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Zoltan Herczeg
<zherczeg at inf.u-szeged.hu> wrote:
> The plan is opening a rendering thread for each document object. [...]
>
> This is still a vague idea, and we are still investigating the
> possibilities. What is your opinion? Do you know about any major blockers
> we should know about?

Didn't dhyatt and some others at Apple investigate something along
these lines in the context of OpenCL and the new 'Grand Central
Dispatch' stuff?

As I recall, they didn't experience a significant improvement for a
variety of reasons, though I think they were trying to parallelize
rendering of a single document, not rendering different documents on
different threads.

-Brent