[webkit-dev] Implementing WebTiming as a part of HTML5

Darin Fisher darin at chromium.org
Tue Feb 16 10:09:50 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Alois Reitbauer <
alois.reitbauer at dynatrace.com> wrote:

> As discussed with Richard and Zhiheng here the feedback on the proposal by
> dynaTrace software. We had a look at the new spec draft and have a number of
> questions and proposals:
>
>  -    In the NavigationTiming interface you refer to paint events. Do you
> really mean paint here or layouting? Paint events are in our opinion less
> relevant from a performance perspective than layouting (or reflow) events.
>
> -     Additionally it would be nice to not only see the pain event count
> but also the paint event time. You can then find out how much time is spent
> layouting. Just having the number of operations does not provide this
> information.
>
> -     We are a bit unclear how to access the timing information for the
> HTML elements. Would we have to browse the whole DOM to get them? This could
> result in quite a performance overhead.
>
> -     Additionally we wonder if you only want to additionally support
> timings for XHR requests. We think it would be good to support every type of
> network request.
>
> -     We are also wondering about what to use the TimingMap respectively
> the ticks property for.  A nice use case would be to store the time of a
> click event and then retrieve it on the next page. However this will not be
> part of the window.timing attribute – right?
>
> On the mailing there was also a note that “… some parts are implemented by
> chromium”.  Are there any more details which parts, so we could try to use
> them and provide feedback as well.

window.chrome.loadTimes() has the following properties:

requestTime
startLoadTime
commitLoadTime
finishDocumentLoadTime
finishLoadTime
firstPaintTime
firstPaintAfterLoadTime
navigationType

Note: This is not a well documented API, and it is something we may drop in
the future in favor of the WebTiming spec.

-Darin