[webkit-dev] More thoughts on cleaning up the root directory

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Dec 27 19:17:37 PST 2010

On Dec 27, 2010, at 1:11 PM, Sam Weinig wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
> > Is it really a good idea to move platform out of WebCore? Lots of stuff
> > there seems quite WebCore related.
>
> There seem to be a couple people who aren't sold on moving platform
> out of WebCore.  It sounds like we should hold off on doing that and
> discuss it separately down the road.
>
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 2:47 AM, Hajime Morita <morrita at google.com> wrote:
> >>  Platform/ (was WebCore/platform)
> > I'd like to keep platform directory under WebCore if there is no strong reason.
>
> Ok.  I think different people have slightly different ideas about what
> should go into this folder.  That sounds like a complex topic that we
> might need to discuss more later.
>

> I think moving Platform out from WebCore is great long term goal, but right now, there is simply too many layering violations for it to be feasible. For those curious, the intent is for nothing in Platform to be dependent on anything else in WebCore (eg. dom, html, rendering, loader), so something like platform/qt/RenderThemeQt.cpp would be considered a layering violation.  There are bugs filed on many of these violations, but the work has not be completed.

Indeed, that's the reason I suggested to Adam that we should move platform out of WebCore eventually. It would make the layering intent more clear and would let us enforce the layering by making it a compile-time error to depend on other parts of WebCore inside the platform directory.

However, I don't think we should make this change part of the initial reorg. It's something we could do down the line once we have had time to fix up more of the layering violations. Note: we could also whitelist specific files with known layering violations if we want to make this change before we eliminate all layering violations.

Regards,
Maciej