[webkit-dev] Pixel tests and displaying text

Peter Kasting pkasting at chromium.org
Wed Dec 8 16:21:53 PST 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> Maybe we could come up with a way to print the explanation in the browser
> only, and not in DumpRenderTree. A simple convention could be:
>
> if (!window.layoutTestController)
>    document.write("Explanation of what the test is testing goes here.");
>
> This is slightly more convenient than an HTML comment when you open a test
> in the browser to see what's going on.

At least when I've been tracking down test failures, the most convenient
thing is the pixel output itself, which I have in both raw and diff form in
the various Chromium dashboards.  At the point when I need to manually open
the test in some fashion, text displayed in the document versus text
appearing in the source code are about equally accessible -- if anything,
the latter is better for me (opening text editors is easy).

Really, I suspect that all that really matters is that we establish some
convention, so that I don't have to try opening the test outside the testing
environment, reading the source, etc., all in hope of an explanation that
I'm not sure exists.

PK