[webkit-dev] Pixel tests and displaying text

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Dec 8 15:21:55 PST 2010

On Dec 8, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Peter Kasting wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
> I’m worried a bit, though, that if we can’t use any text in them at all, the tests are then not at all self explanatory. You have to be an expert on the test to understand what it’s testing and what success and failure look like.
>
> I think for tests where we're worried that's the case, we should (for now) just go ahead and continue using text and having separate baselines.  The per-test cost is relatively low and the number of tests that fall into this bucket is hopefully small?

All tests benefit from being obviously self-describing. I've had to debug failing tests that didn't describe what they were testing in words, and it's pretty hard a lot of the time to tell what is even supposed to be happening.

> Maybe we can come up with a new form of test that puts the explanation of the test somewhere that will not be dumped and the test in a frame, and have the pixel tests dump only the frame.
>
> That would also work.

I like Darin's idea. Perhaps the dumpAsPixels call could take a frame argument. It's really handy if tests can be self-describing in the browser.

Regards,
Maciej