[webkit-dev] Tip: Use 64-bit git binaries on Mac OS X

Mihai Parparita mihaip at chromium.org
Tue Dec 7 16:04:13 PST 2010

After complaining to a Linux-using friend for the n-th time that "git
status" was much slower on my Snow Leopard machine than on his Linux
box, I decided to look into why this is. As it turns out, most people
get git binaries from http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/,
which are 32-bit. Switching to 64-bit binaries made git status go from
6.58s to 2.50s (mainly because this does fewer mmaps).

You can download a 64-bit binary installer from
https://github.com/downloads/mihaip/git_osx_installer/git-1.7.3.3-intel-x86_64-leopard.dmg,
or you can build it yourself (more details at
http://blog.persistent.info/2010/12/making-git-faster-on-large-repositories.html).

Mihai