[webkit-dev] Rebaselining render tree dumps

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Dec 7 15:55:07 PST 2010

Hi all,

Since this would require a lot of rebaselines anyways, can we also add some
enhancements to DRT?

I propose to an option to dump as text with images.  In many editing tests,
we don't need render tree dumps because we care more about how DOM looks
like before and after editing operations.  However, we also need to verify
that selection and caret are rendered properly on multiple occasions, and
the only way to do this right now is to use a pixel test.  But even then,
dumping render tree is not helpful and almost harmful because it doesn't
tell us how selection / caret are rendered (this can never be tested by
comparing text) and hides some important information about DOM and makes
us rebaseline tests whenever there's slight change (that we don't care) in
the render tree.

James (jamesr) and I talked about this on IRC, and he said this feature will
also be useful for repaint tests and canvas tests.  We can implement this
feature by adding dumpAsTextWithImage to layoutTestController, which forces
DRT to dump as text but also outputs the png image.  For repainting tests,
we can also add dumpRepaintRects to output more information about painting.

- Ryosuke