[webkit-dev] Stability problems involving Javascript GC

Chris Backas chb at infoplusonline.com
Mon Dec 6 10:59:03 PST 2010

Hello all,

I'm trying to write a Cocoa application with embedded WebViews that
navigates through a web application, eventually arriving at a page
with a Java applet. I query some values from the Java applet via
Javascript, and then at some point I close up and free the WebView.

The problem is that my program is quite unstable, and crashes at
random points during the navigation process anywhere from the 2nd to
7th time I use it. I create an entirely new WebView for each attempt.
I'll attach a typical backtrace below.

Anyway, using basic troubleshooting techniques I believe I've narrowed
the instability down to querying the Java applet through LiveConnect -
testing the process with 100 iterations up to but NOT including the
page with the applet was perfectly stable. 50 tests going to the page
WITH the applet, but NOT querying it was also perfectly stable. As
soon as I make even a basic query through LiveConnect though, I
introduce instability.

The crashes always seems to be cause in a Javascript Core Garbage
Collection pass (see stack trace below), which leads me to thing that
I'm doing something best avoided in my interactions - like, perhaps
there's a dangling Javascript->Java proxy object where the Java peer
was destroyed. But, basically, I'm looking for any insight anyone
might have as to pitfalls that might not be obvious in this area.

Problem occurs on 10.5.8 + All latest updates, and 10.6.5 + All latest
updates. Java 6 on both platforms (required by the Applet) - using the
Out-of-Process plugin on 10.5 and the in-process 32bit Java 6 on 10.6

Here is an example of my JS code, executed by [[webView
windowScriptObject] evaluateWebScript:someJavaScript] on the main
thread. The element in 'app' is a Java applet, getListenPort() is a
Java method called via LiveConnect. I have two other scripts that are
very similar, varying only in the method called.

(function () {
		var app = document.getElementById(\"RemoteApplication\");
		var ReturnMe = Number(app.getListenPort());
		app = null;
		return ReturnMe;
		})()

And here is a common sort of stack trace I'm getting (this one from
10.6)
Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   com.apple.JavaScriptCore      	0x9489f766 WTF::fastFree(void*) + 134
1   com.apple.WebCore             	0x929be825
WebCore::CSSSelectorList::deleteSelectors() + 389
2   com.apple.WebCore             	0x92a38269
WebCore::CSSStyleRule::~CSSStyleRule() + 57
3   com.apple.WebCore             	0x929c3a04
WTF::Vector<WTF::RefPtr<WebCore::StyleBase>, 0ul>::shrink(unsigned
long) + 84
4   com.apple.WebCore             	0x92a38193
WebCore::StyleSheet::~StyleSheet() + 179
5   com.apple.WebCore             	0x92a38066
WebCore::CSSStyleSheet::~CSSStyleSheet() + 102
6   com.apple.WebCore             	0x92a91074
WTF::Vector<WTF::RefPtr<WebCore::StyleSheet>, 0ul>::shrink(unsigned
long) + 84
7   com.apple.WebCore             	0x92a29243
WebCore::StyleSheetList::~StyleSheetList() + 67
8   com.apple.WebCore             	0x92a28cd9
WebCore::Document::~Document() + 3529
9   com.apple.WebCore             	0x92a27f01
WebCore::HTMLDocument::~HTMLDocument() + 129
10  com.apple.WebCore             	0x92a27def WebCore::Node::~Node() +
431
11  com.apple.WebCore             	0x92c05a21
WebCore::HTMLIFrameElement::~HTMLIFrameElement() + 129
12  com.apple.WebCore             	0x92b356fe
WebCore::JSNode::~JSNode() + 382
13  com.apple.JavaScriptCore      	0x9495a0d2 JSC::Heap::sweep() + 274

I find it odd that main isn't seen in the stack, but it never is. The
crash nearly ALWAYS occurs in WTF::fastFree(), very occasionally
occurring instead in some other memory management function.

Any insight on where to look to further track this down would be
greatly appreciated.

-Chris Backas

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email (and any related attachments) contains information from InfoPlus (a service of Bristol Capital, Inc.).  It is intended only for the addressee and may contain information that is confidential and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or are acting as agent for the intended recipient, any use or disclosure of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately to arrange for the appropriate method of returning or disposing of the communication. If our respective Companies have confidentiality provisions in effect, this email and the materials contained herein are deemed CONFIDENTIAL and should be treated accordingly unless expressly provided otherwise.