[webkit-dev] Misplaced files

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Tue Aug 31 03:02:48 PDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Darin Fisher <darin at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 30, 2010, at 8:36 AM, Darin Fisher wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

>>> Ok.  I moved the files from WebCore/html to WebCore/fileapi.

>>> in
>>>
>>> Are these the files you're talking about?
>>>
>>> WebCore/storage/DOMFilePath.cpp
>>> WebCore/storage/DOMFilePath.h
>>> WebCore/storage/DOMFileSystem.cpp
>>> WebCore/storage/DOMFileSystem.h
>>> WebCore/storage/DOMFileSystem.idl
>>> WebCore/storage/FileEntry.cpp
>>> WebCore/storage/FileEntry.h
>>> WebCore/storage/FileEntry.idl
>>> WebCore/storage/FileSystemCallback.h
>>> WebCore/storage/FileSystemCallback.idl
>>> WebCore/storage/FileSystemCallbacks.cpp
>>> WebCore/storage/FileSystemCallbacks.h
>>> WebCore/storage/LocalFileSystem.cpp
>>> WebCore/storage/LocalFileSystem.h
>>>
>>> I'm happy to move them to WebCore/fileapi, but I'm also happy for you to
>>> do it.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Adam
>>>

>> How about just moving everything into WebCore/storage?  This is all
>> storage-related stuff.
>>

>> I think the File API is large enough to deserve its own directory. In
>> fact, it might be worth splitting up the remaining contents of the storage
>> directory too. It is confusing to have large but almost entirely separate
>> APIs all piled into one directory. It is true they are all
>> "storage-related", but that is a pretty broad theme, and LocalStorage, SQL
>> Storage, Indexed DB and File API have little or no interaction with each
>> other.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Maciej
>>

> That's fair.  Plus, there are a lot of files in there already.

What names should we use?

WebSQLDatabase:
Like WebSockets, I think the "web" part is pretty important to keep people
from getting confused.  'websqldatabase' seems a bit long though.
 'websqldb' maybe?

WebStorage:
Currently we call this "Dom Storage" throughout the codebase (including in
the ENABLE macro), so we may want to call it "domstorage".  Like WebSockets
and WebSQLDatabase, I think "storage" with no prefix seems like a generic
storage directory so we should probably call it "webstorage" if "domstorage"
isn't acceptable.

Indexed Database API:
"IndexedDB" is what it's commonly called, so a directory of "indexeddb"
seems like the way to go.