[webkit-dev] Changes to line-by-line code reviews

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Aug 29 16:16:25 PDT 2010

On Aug 29, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Adam Barth wrote:

> Based on some feedback, I'm going to try to improve the line-by-line
> review tool.  I've landed the first iteration of the new design, which
> should be usable and have roughly the same functionality as the old
> design.  I'll be adding new features shortly.
>
> The main difference is you now access the line-by-line review feature
> using the "Formatted Diff" link in bugs.webkit.org instead of the
> "Review Patch" link.  I made this change so that folks who like the
> old "Review Patch" tool won't be bothered by the new tool.  If you
> have feature requests, let me know.  I'll post an update once the tool
> is awesomified.

I'm not sure who objects to new features being added to Review Patch, but I don't like this change:

1) I'm used to having the "click to add a comment" feature in Review Patch, and would miss it if it was gone.
2) I think overloading "Formatted Diff" is wrong - it should remain a read-only view.

I think the main remaining problems with the Review Patch page are the inability to give comments with multiple lines of context, and the excessive amount of space dedicated to things that are not the patch.

If changing the Review Patch page as needed would be too disruptive for some reason, I suggest using a new page instead of overloading "Formatted Diff".

Regards,
Maciej