[webkit-dev] Checking allocation failures [was: Re: Naked new considered harmful]

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 04:04:19 PDT 2010

> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:07:02 +0530
> Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] Checking allocation failures [was: Re: Naked new considered harmful]
> From: sriram.neelakandan at gmail.com
> To: marchywka at hotmail.com
> CC: jamesr at google.com; abarth at webkit.org; webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am still a newbie in this ocenaous wekbit ... here are some
> thoughts from me.. please correct me if i have misunderstood some
> thing;
>
> Talking on the same lines of Resource allocations.. I have seen
> already snips of code that handle Large Resource allocations
> gracefully. For instance i think the ImageReosource has a check on
> maximum decoded image size..But that just applies to a single image
> being decoded;

That is just an example I use because I've seen it happen- sure the
image can be too big but the data can be corrupt too.

> What webkit may need is something like maximum amount of memory
> available for all Image Resources in a page.. and when the limit is
> hit inform the Client/embedder of the same.
> So basically in this case the page can get gracefully degraded and the
> user can be informed of the same; I think some other stuff like CSS
> can also be gracefully handled

I guess there are two issues- being able to kill the thing least relevant
to the user when you encounter resource limitations and optimizing
the use of resources prior to that. One issue with the latter is often memory
coherence- no one wants to here my stories about the disk light coming
on everytime I try to fill out a web form- and this goes along with
things like Planner or Strategy or whatever you want to call them.
If everytime you were about to do something "significant" you may an estimate
of the memory or IO or CPU cycles to accomplish some part of that task,
first you could maybe pick among implementations suited to the immediate
situation and then you could allocate memory in a single heap for that task.

I guess my only point is that probably many exceptions due to alloc failure
may be predictable with effort that is not a distraction from larger issues like
optimiztion.

As a browser user there are many times when I'd simply like to download text
instead of images, certainly turn off Flash as when I'm on a modem. It may
be possible to set criteria however rather than just on/off(" turn off images
if bw hits 56kbps unless I click on the substitute text"). I guess you could
consider a feature like this to be "picking" among rendering things that render
images as their alt text or not.

> But Now lets say there is a cap for maximum JS memory and we run out
> of it some reason; then it would be safe to inform the user and unload
> the page itself;

This always bothers me- hard limits need to be set somehow. And ok sure
there is probably a fixed amount of memory on the platform that
gives you some numbers to work from but still trying to limit certain
things to fixed amounts seems to create arbitrary things that may be had
to pick well.