[webkit-dev] What is XBL? or XBRL?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 03:20:33 PDT 2010

> From: kenneth.christiansen at gmail.com
> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 04:24:49 -0300
> To: abarth at webkit.org
> CC: webkit-dev at lists.webkit.org
> Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] What is XBL?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBL , I guess?
>
> "XBL (XML Binding Language) is an XML-based markup language used to
> declare the behavior and look of XUL-widgets and XML elements."
>
> I don't think we need that :-)

( sorry if this is more incoherent than normal hotmail really having
problems lately, imagine that )

This reminds me of another issue exemplified by XBRL or maybe RSS would be more familiar,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBRL

http://www.xbrl.org/Home/

http://xbrl.sec.gov/

that I have seen developing between webpages
designed for human readability ( lots of pictures or pdf's from which text
can not be extracted in a sane format) and those that allow further
data processing without a human baby sitter such as structured documents in
an XML format.

The big focus of the browser is generally to allow interactive access to
graphics information- browse if you will. However, this limits the ability
to use structured documents for automated data processing, as if anyone would
do that with a computer. Personally, anything that can help make better use of structured data files while reasonably being within the scope of browsing should be considered. I guess you could say that this should all just be delegated to plugins
for certain content types and probably largely so.
Most webpages are designed to describe a human readable page but it is
quite reasonable for a user to browse to a data file and have different hanlders
for different platforms. RSS I would say usses essentially one type of "data file"
that fits into this catagory.