[webkit-dev] Place For new Core Module

Chinmaya Sn chinmaya at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 14:26:31 PDT 2010

Let me put it this way, I am working on a new standard, which
leverages some of HTML5 standards but tries to extend them
 (not enhance) to answer some of the Cable industry challenges.

I started by analysing WebKit layer, it has very strong assumption of
layering browser-engine, and mostly has APIs which helps you
 build a html browser, why not, WebKit is a browser-engine.

In my first case, of rendering a special kind of "app" on top of HTML5 video;
these apps don't speak html/javascript, they speak primitives such as
drawRectangle, drawLine etc. and has own events and processing
 functions (its a language in itself) which needs to be translated into
either C++ or HTML/JavaScript.

My primary requirements is to add new modules which represent new
standards which work in conjunction with HTML5 (very closely) without
any changes inside WebCore.

Today WebKit would not gain anything, this is new standard work in
progress. Tomorrow things might change, and if someone says I
want this Cable specific feature, one could easily tell 'hey build
WebKit with this flag and you will get that feature for free',
that is my motto.

I am driving this as as future proof solution.
Currently I'll be performing these changes only in my own branch.

Makes sense?

--
Chinmaya