[webkit-dev] Not enough space message when linking webkit (lots of free disk space)

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 23 05:17:05 PDT 2010

> > On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 2:26 AM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:
> >> The Kernel usually reserves 1/4 (but up to 3/4 on some OSes) of the address
> >> space for itself + you can get fragmentation. So the linker only can use
> >> part of the 4gb of ram in your machine. So switching to a 64 bit linker
> >> would probably fix the problem for now. Another option is to disable some
> >> parts of WebKit you don't need (like SVG).

If you do a google search on that error number you get some suggestions
others have observed this,

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/a9fc5fea-41f8-4bce-8d64-afbe92ac2c41

( you could edit this by hand or type error into goog if this no work )

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&q=LNK1257&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=a2523ac2264f1e8f

The reason I'm contributing a response here is not due to great insight but
because I just got a Debian build to go on a 768M emachines and the cygwin
build was just fine on a somewhat more capable machine ( actually it is a
server and probably many G's so that may not be informative). In any case,
I seem to have foggy memories of many years ago running into a problem
like this on MSVC but honestly it could have been the INTC linker my memory
is so bad. And, it wasn't clear from the discussion what memory you were
talking about- the target exe memory map or the physical memory available
to the linker which shouldnt have any problem using VM( who cares
how much physical memory you have, just wait wait wait).

In general out of memory errors can occur due to algorithm failure ( often
infinite loop that depletes heap before stack) or data failure ( you
see this a lot when trying to open image data and dimensions are random
data that often are large numbers when taken as width and height LOL).
So, no practical amount of memory addition is likely to fix anything
in those cases.

FWIW HTH.