[webkit-dev] Tests that separate JS and HTML

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Mon Aug 16 19:45:22 PDT 2010

On Aug 16, 2010, at 12:44 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:

> I agree that dealing with the script to generate tests and having the actual test content be in a different file is a significant maintenance overhead. But I also think that having standard testing code across many tests reduces the amount of effort it takes to understand a test.
>
> We discussed this at https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2010-July/013673.html. I think Maciej's solution sounds ideal, although I'm not convinced it's worth including doctype for news tests.

I think it is. Tests should be in strict mode by default, unless you specifically have a goal of testing quirks mode behavior. Quirks more is more likely to have weird pitfalls or to change in unexpected ways over time. No doctype == quirksmode, for HTML anyway. XML-based tests (including XHTML, MathML and SVG) don't need a doctype. And really, "<!DOCTYPE html>" is hardly a burden on either the reader or the writer. The short, memorable doctype is one of my favorite things about HTML5.

Regards,
Maciej