[webkit-dev] Build system complexity

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Thu Aug 12 10:36:51 PDT 2010

Eric and I discussed this recently.  We think the easiest path forward
is to try to remove build systems incrementally.  Each build system we
remove makes it easier to hack on the project because you have one
less build system to worry about.  The easiest build system to remove
is probably the Visual Studio build system.  There's some complexity
there because several ports use the vcproj files (e.g., apple-win,
win-cairo, and wince as I recall).  My understanding (based on past
emails) is that either CMake or GYP would be workable.

I'm not sure there's anything blocking this work.  We just need
someone to be interested enough in making it happen to do it.

Adam