[webkit-dev] On IDL files, events and writing DOM bindings

Xan Lopez xan at gnome.org
Wed Aug 11 17:58:20 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2010, at 11:39 PM, Xan Lopez wrote:
>
>> For the GObject bindings I'm actually exposing the events directly.
>
> This is a new feature, no other binding has this, and you will have to build everything yourself. There’s nothing in IDL files, or in fact anywhere in the project, that lists all the events that might be sent to each class.

As both you and Adam have commented in the thread I don't think this
information is actually needed to build the bindings. Since any event
can be delivered to any EventTarget you have to be quite generic in
how to setup things, at least for GObject. Part of my willingness to
infer that data from the IDL files was to try to avoid being so
generic in the implementation (since it has some drawbacks), but I
think that just ends in an incorrect implementation so I have no
choice but give it up.

Xan