[webkit-dev] Why are we running Sputnik?

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Aug 11 07:10:39 PDT 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 2:26 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:

> 10.08.2010, в 14:00, Adam Barth написал(а):
>
>> A better long-term fix might be to finish new-run-webkit-tests so we
>> can run the tests in parallel.
>

> One reason to move the tests to run-javascriptcore-tests is that people working on JS run these more often (sometimes not even building WebCore until ready to submit a patch).

If these tests can catch regressions from non-JS-engine changes (and according to Adam's message, they have done so at least once), then we need to run them in the full browser engine context, even if we also have a version that runs in a JS-only command-line tool.

As another data point, some of the Sputnik tests are currently failing in WebKit2 on Mac, so they are detecting a problem that they wouldn't be able to if they ran JS-only.

Regards,
Maciej