[webkit-dev] Canvas performance and memory usage

Stephen White senorblanco at chromium.org
Tue Aug 10 12:38:49 PDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 6:17 PM, David Hyatt <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:

> There are other cases as well where you want a copy.  Patterns are another
> example. For example you can create a pattern from another canvas, and I
> don't think it's supposed to be live if that other canvas later changes.
>  There are examples in SVG as well where patterns are used and I am pretty
> sure a copy is the desired behavior.
>
> I don't think it's as simple as saying "image()" should never copy.
>
> I spent some time thinking about this from a CG perspective, and I couldn't
> really come up with a good solution.  We use a bitmap context for efficient
> pixel access for get/putImageData.  Any platform that wants these functions
> to be efficient has to keep the pixels easily obtainable.  This means, for
> example, that we can't produce a live image using CGLayers.  Looking at Qt,
> the only current platform to return a "live" image to canvas for rendering,
> it looks like they made this tradeoff, i.e., it looks to me like
> get/putImageData are slower than other platforms.  (The get is having to
> call toImage() on a pixmap and then has to convert to obtain a good
> representation of the data for a QImage).  The put has to render the changes
> into the pixmap.
>
> I tried renaming the two methods (image() and imageForRendering()) to
> copiedImage and liveImage, and ended up with about an 80/20 split at the
> call sites between the two.  It looked really ugly to me, since in nearly
> every case the "liveImage" was just being used to paint the current contents
> of the ImageBuffer, i.e., it was just being passed to drawImage.  The
> copiedImage was typically passed to somebody who needed to retain it for
> later rendering, e.g., a pattern.
>
> So to sum up, the call sites want two things:
>
> (1) To render the current contents of the image buffer efficiently.

Would it make sense to add a GraphicsContext::drawImageBuffer(ImageBuffer*,
...) call for this use case?  Then the details of how the image is actually
extracted (or not) could be kept down in the platform-specific layers.  I
don't know if this entirely helps the problem under discussion, but I ran
into it in another context and it seemed like it would be useful.

Stephen

(2) To obtain a copied image that is independent of the image buffer that is