[webkit-dev] Fwd: webkit editing rewrite?

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Mon Aug 9 16:18:09 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:59 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> I think this carries an assumption that the right internal abstractions are
> necessarily also a sensible public API. I don't know if that is a good
> assumption.

You're right that I was making this assumption. My intuition is that the
majority of the APIs we'd need internally will be the same as the ones we'd
want in a public API, but I can believe that won't be true across the
board. I've been very focused on this Position/Range discussion, where I do
think a very similar, if not identical API makes sense. Anchoring to nodes
instead of index+offset is just a better API for editing web content.

I think creating better abstractions to implement the legacy editing API on
> the one hand, and creating a better public editing API for Web content on
> the other, are both quite difficult problems. If you assume that they must
> be solved with a single solution, that's probably overconstraining the
> problem space.

Fair enough.

Ojan