[webkit-dev] Canvas performance and memory usage

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Wed Aug 4 14:52:19 PDT 2010

The reason ImageBuffer::image() makes a copy (be it a deep copy, or CoW) is almost exclusively for the purpose of ensuring correct behaviour in the case where a canvas is drawn onto itself, eg.

context = myCanvas.getContext("2d");
context.drawImage(myCanvas, 0, 0);

Off hand I can think of no other case where this would be necessary, so it seems like the best solution would be to make the default behaviour for image() be to return a reference to a potentially mutable image, and to give the canvas a distinct method for getting a copied image in the case where it's actually necessary.

--Oliver