[webkit-dev] Testing changes to CodeGenerator*.pm

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Thu Apr 29 17:34:54 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>
> > It seems to me a better model would be to regenerate the bindings test
> file
> > automatically as part of the build. Then the changes can still be
> reviewed
> > by you, or as part of a diff, but there would be no extra manual steps
> > involved. And people making behaviorally transparent changes to codegen
> > output would perhaps feel a little less burdened.
>
> That sounds like a good improvement.  I think it would be fine to
> regenerate the output as part of the build.  However, I think we
> should still preserve the ability to run the script along it "test"
> mode because that's about three orders of magnitude faster than
> performing a build after touching CodeGeneratorJS.
>

>From reading this thread, this seems like the best solution and most easy
to accomplish.  We already have the standalone script, so all we need to do
is hack it into the build.  Isn't there some makefile that generates the
derived sources for at least most of the platforms?  Couldn't we just add it
to that?

People who don't care or value it could continue with their current
work-flows unaffected.  And those that it helps can continue with their
workflows as well, as far as I can tell.

And, optionally, if someone would like to create more robust testing
frameworks in the future could.

Am I totally missing something?  I feel like I must since this discussion
has continued on for a while beyond this point.