[webkit-dev] Testing changes to CodeGenerator*.pm

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Apr 29 13:38:09 PDT 2010

On Apr 29, 2010, at 1:05 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It seems to me a better model would be to regenerate the bindings
>> test file
>> automatically as part of the build. Then the changes can still be
>> reviewed
>> by you, or as part of a diff, but there would be no extra manual
>> steps
>> involved. And people making behaviorally transparent changes to
>> codegen
>> output would perhaps feel a little less burdened.
>
> That sounds like a good improvement.  I think it would be fine to
> regenerate the output as part of the build.  However, I think we
> should still preserve the ability to run the script along it "test"
> mode because that's about three orders of magnitude faster than
> performing a build after touching CodeGeneratorJS.

Alexey (or others who don't like the new tests), do you think this
change would address your concerns?

On Apr 29, 2010, at 1:05 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

> What I hear from this conversation is the following:
>
> 1) A bunch of people who've used the tool saying that they've found
> it useful.
> 2) A bunch of people who haven't used the tool suggesting
> improvements.
>
> This tool impacts the handful of people who work on
> CodeGeneratorJS.pm.  Everyone else in the project can safely ignore
> it.  I'm all for improvements, and I invite anyone interested to
> either improve the tool or write a new tool that does the job better.

If everyone has to use the tool for the tool to be useful, then
ideally we want a system where the people who change the bindings
frequently mostly buy into. Here is the list of people with more than
5 all-time commits in the WebCore/bindings/scripts directory. Ideally
I'd like to hear from more of these what they think would be helpful
and not burdensome.

   59  weinig at apple.com
   46  eric at webkit.org
   35  darin at apple.com
   32  japhet at chromium.org
   29  oliver at apple.com
   26  ggaren at apple.com
   26  dglazkov at chromium.org
   16  abarth at webkit.org
   14  zimmermann at webkit.org
   12  ap at webkit.org
   10  aroben at apple.com
    8  levin at chromium.org
    7  mjs at apple.com
    7  darin at chromium.org
    6  timothy at apple.com
    6  snej at chromium.org
    6  jianli at chromium.org
    6  ddkilzer at apple.com
    6  cwzwarich at webkit.org

Here is the command anyone can run to see the full list (assuming you
have an SVN checkout):
$ svn log WebCore/bindings/scripts | grep '|.*@' | sed -e 's/^[^|]* |//
g; s/ | .*$//g;' | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn

The long tail of people who have made only a few bindings changes is
rather large, so I suspect this tool affects more than a handful
people, if it becomes a mandatory part of the process.

Regards,
Maciej