[webkit-dev] Testing changes to CodeGenerator*.pm

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Thu Apr 29 11:44:39 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> On 29.04.2010, at 11:17, Yaar Schnitman wrote:
>
>> I've been using the tool for a couple of patches in V8. It really boost
>> the development cycle, helps reviewers understanding what a cryptic perl
>> block of code actually does, and side effects are easy to find. Once you
>> start using it, its becoming hard to work without it. Give it a try!
>>

> 'm thinking about how this tool could have helped with the CodeGenerator
> changes I made in the past, and it seems that it wouldn't have detected any
> changes, and could require me to find creative ways to test the new
> behavior.

I don't really follow the what the maintenance overhead is. How does this
actually cause you more than a trivial amount of extra work? Maybe a
specific example would help.

Isn't this just like having a layout test with expected results? It's a
small isolated test instead of testing everything. That seems like a good
thing.

More importantly, it lets you be sure that every feature of the code
generator has some testing. In the real IDLs, a feature might stop getting
used temporarily and then changes to the code generator would not be readily
apparent.

Ojan

P.S. Sorry for the double-post some of you got. Sent from the wrong email
address at first.