[webkit-dev] webkit-patch, check-webkit-style and git now support --squash and --git-commit

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Mon Apr 26 18:15:02 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Timothy Hatcher <timothy at apple.com> wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2010, at 10:55 AM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
>  > Eventually, I'd like to make --squash the default, but I want this to
> bake and get some usage before flipping that switch.
>
> But I don't think this makes sense as a default to me. But maybe I use git
> differently than everyone else… I don't do the whole "branch-per-bug"
> business.
>
> I usually have one git commit per commit I plan to push to SVN (each with a
> separate ChangeLog entry).

There are definitely two camps in the webkit git community. Some that prefer
--squash (branch-per-bug), some that prefer --no-squash
(local-commit-per-bug). Basically noone likes the current default
though. Anyone can control their local default by getting the
webkit-patch.squash git config parameter.

I don't use the --no-squash workflow, so it still needs some work. There are
FIXMEs in scm.py to make it treat each git commit separately. I don't think
it does the right thing for post/upload. It needs some TLC from someone who
actually uses the one git commit per commit workflow.

In the meantime, the --squash workflow is basically done barring minor bugs.
Also, I think --squash is more friendly for people new to git. So, I think
it should be the default for now. Seem reasonable?

Ojan