[webkit-dev] JSC String re-factorings are hosing the tree.

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Thu Apr 22 10:56:56 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Adam Roben <aroben at apple.com> wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2010, at 1:31 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > I suspect Windows builders fall behind whenever there is a sequence of
> changes that each requires a long rebuild.
>
> That might be right, though I'm having trouble finding data on this because
> all the recent changes that would have caused long builds broke things on
> one platform or the other.

The slowness of the builders only means that we do fewer builds. So when the
bot turns red, the regression window is large. For the most part, we don't
actually fall behind on the builders. The problem is that the build is
*much* faster than running the tests. So we often end up in a situation
where the build finishes in a reasonable amount of time, but the tests don't
run for hours because we have a number of builds queued up. I've literally
waited 10 hours after the build has completed for the tests to run.

The build time could use an improvement, but it's minor in comparison to the
time to run tests.

Ojan