[webkit-dev] JSC String re-factorings are hosing the tree.

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Apr 22 10:31:37 PDT 2010

On Apr 21, 2010, at 3:35 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Gavin Barraclough <barraclough at apple.com
> > wrote:
> I believe a big problem that caused the extended periods of redness
> was the slowness of the Windows test queues.  These can lag badly
> behind the builds, making failures here very are easy to miss -
> having landed a large change, and waited to watch the waterfall stay
> green for an extended period of time, it was easy to be under the
> misapprehension that everything was okay.  Only later would I
> discover windows test had started to fail.  Clearly there is a
> lesson I've learned here, but maybe we can find some more hardware
> to throw at these queues, to help them avoid getting quite so far
> behind.
>
> I also have had this problem many times. Throwing more hardware at
> it would be great.
>
> Also, maybe we could use one of the Windows test bots for the
> initial trial of new-run-webkit-tests. Do we know how may cores are
> on those windows machines? The improvement in running the tests will
> be roughly proportional to the number of cores on the machine.

That will improve the time running the tests, but I think the slow
thing on Windows bots is building, and I believe that is because they
are not doing parallel builds that take advantage of their multiple
cores. I suspect Windows builders fall behind whenever there is a
sequence of changes that each requires a long rebuild.

Regards,
Maciej