[webkit-dev] Implementing HTML5 context menus

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Apr 21 17:46:50 PDT 2010

On Apr 21, 2010, at 5:06 PM, Drew Wilson wrote:

> Has anyone done any work/investigation towards implementing the
> context menu support in HTML5 (the "contextmenu" attribute and
> <menu> elements with type="contextMenu") as described here: http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/interactive-elements.html#context-menus
>  ?
>
> I didn't see anything from a quick browse through the source code,
> and also haven't seen much traffic on webkit-dev on the subject. The
> spec itself seems to be at "Last call for comments" so it seems like
> it should be stable enough to start implementation. One of the
> members of my team has expressed some interest in working on this if
> there's no implementation already underway.

No one has started on this yet. This part of the spec has never been
implemented by anyone, so I suspect that if WebKit does the first
implementation, we will likely need to give input to the relevant
standards groups, and I suspect that we'll probably run into issues
that require changes to the spec. That's not to say we shouldn't do
it, but rather, whoever is working on this should be prepared to
communicate with the standards groups on this feature.

Regards,
Maciej